DeKalb Chamber Honors Seven Local Businesses at 2019 APEX Awards
DECATUR, Ga., – July 3, 2019 – The DeKalb Chamber of Commerce recognized seven businesses at its 2019 APEX Awards on June 26 in front of nearly 100 attendees.
“This annual event is our opportunity to thank the business community for their positive contributions in DeKalb and recognize their accomplishments,” said Katerina Taylor, DeKalb Chamber President and CEO.
The award recipients included:
- Business Advocacy: Tucker Business Association
- Business of the Year ($1 to 5 million): EGM Services
- Business of the Year ($5 to 10 million): Stablegold Hospitality
- Emerging Business: Stone Ridge Event Center
- Nonprofit of the Year (Large): United Way of Greater Atlanta
- Nonprofit of the Year (Small): I Care, Inc
- Youth Entrepreneur: Just Temple
The APEX Awards also featured a keynote panel of businesswomen, including Eva Jane Bunkley, Creator of The Makeup Bullet; Zulma Lopez, Immigration Attorney for Lopez Immigration; Veronica Maldonado-Torres, Principal of VMT Consulting; and Katherine Morales, President/Founder of the Inflection Point Communications. Ebonie Carzo, former competitor of Food Network’s “Wedding Cake Championship” and Owner and Lead Cake Designer of Scrumptious Cakery, served as the emcee and moderator.
Detailed information about the award winners is below.
The Business Advocacy Award recognizes a business that serves other businesses in DeKalb County.
- Tucker Business Association serves as the unified voice of the businesses in the City of Tucker. TBA keeps its members informed about developments coming in and around Tucker, while also creating opportunities to keep their nearly 100 members engaged.
- EGM Services is the largest minority glass company in the southeast region. A family-owned operation, EGM believes in treating their employees with utmost respect and it is reflected in the quality of their work.
The Emerging Business Award recognizes a new business that has demonstrated major growth through its involvement in various capacities through the community and the Chamber.
- Stone Ridge Event Center opened the 20,000 square-foot facility in 2016. It offers an elegant ballroom that seats 600 guests, an outdoor garden area that seats 350 guests, a full kitchen, and a bonfire area.
The Nonprofit of the Year Award recognizes a nonprofit organization that do impactful work in DeKalb and/or have a significant operations in DeKalb.
- United Way of Greater Atlanta is a nonprofit organization that brings together people and resources to tackle complex community issues and drive sustainable positive change to help our community thrive. Through its Child Well-Being Movement, United Way has identified 14 measures as indicators of success for children, families and communities. The Child Well-Being Index Scores provide data and information to measure the health and well-being of the community at the zip-code level. When United Way first captured the data in DeKalb County, the score was 52 out of 100; In 2018, the index score is 57.2.
- I Care provides free transportation and companionship to fixed/low income seniors living in DeKalb County to their medical appointments. The organization serves an average of nearly 350 DeKalb seniors with 50 volunteer drivers, amounting to more than 1,200 rides annually.
The Youth Entrepreneur Award recognizes a young entrepreneur with a growing business.
- Just Temple is founded by 11-year-old Temple Lester. Through her shop, STEM Swag Shop, she sells STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) related products such as bath bombs, t-shirts and slime. Through her online platform, she educates youth about science.
ABOUT DEKALB CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The DeKalb Chamber of Commerce is a membership-based organization with the mission to support, promote and sustain business development in DeKalb County. With 81 years of service in the community, DeKalb Chamber focuses on four critical areas including education, workforce and economic development, public policy, and business member services. We are the primary resource for businesses in DeKalb County. For more information on DeKalb Chamber, please visit their website at www.dekalbchamber.org or call 404-378-8000.